Anxiety and mood disorders are more prevalent (or at least talked about), today than in previous generations. Here are some mental health hygiene tips that are doctor-endorsed and proven effective as a first line response to mood disorders.
1. Get quality sleep (7-9 hours).
2. Eat a diet comprised primarily of whole fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins. Abstain from alcohol and sugar.
3. Engage in cardiovascular activity for at least 150 minutes per week. (That's about 20 minutes a day.)
4. Maintain social and community connections.
5. Make meditation part of your daily routine.
I'll be going into more detail on how to make these five components of mental hygiene part of your daily routine, if they aren't already. Stay tuned!